Done! This was a big project but it’s finally done. And I have to say I am very happy with the way it turned out! It was time consuming and a bit frustrating at times, but what a change! Here is the before and after pictures. (I added links to the first 2 posts at the end of this post)
Once the gel stain was on and I finished with 2 coats of polyurethane, I started on the spindles. Taping the spindles off was the time consuming part. I used A LOT of tape. But to get a really clean look it was necessary. Spend the time on this, it’s worth it.
I painted the spindles Annie Sloan Pure White and finished them with polyurethane as well so everything had the same finish. Be sure to use a top coat that won’t yellow the chalk paint. I used General Finishes High Performance Water based topcoat.
Now that it’s done I can say the hardest part was the time it took. Don’t plan on this being a quick project. But as long as you take the time to tape everything off and be sure to layer thin coats of stain as well as paint you will be happy with the results. I really am amazed at how different it looks. And I absolutely love it!
Let me know what you think. If you have any questions about how I refinished my stair railing please ask.
Thanks for taking a look
Here are links to the first 2 posts in this series